Frequently Asked Questions…

Why SDA Architecture?

Professional, experienced architectural, management, and construction services with our simple aim is to make your life as easy as possible during the design and construction process. With offices based in Chorley town centre and Preston Road in Whittle-le-Woods, we have a team of Chartered experienced architectural design professionals with a passion for creative, innovative design.

SDA Architecture Ltd is a long-established and experienced company that can advise and guide you through the complex web of rules, regulations and contractual obligations connected with planning and building regulation applications. Our award-winning design studios are friendly, inviting and relaxing so that you can feel at ease when discussing your project, ideas and aspirations.

Does SDA Architecture hold professional indemnity insurance?

We maintain a full professional indemnity insurance policy covering all works undertaken for your peace of mind. Therefore, it is paramount that whoever you choose to produce your designs has up-to-date Professional Indemnity Insurances; word of warning, architectural designers, architects or building consultants don’t need to hold the insurance; without it, your design is not insured if anything goes wrong.

What is planning permission?

Planning permission is the consent of the Council as a Local Planning Authority to carry out the development of land or buildings. For further information, please visit the Governmentsplanning portal

Do I need Planning Permission?

Not all projects need Planning Permission. With our free office consultation, we can assess your project and advise on the correct planning procedure to take.

What are Permitted Development rights?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called “permitted development rights”. They derive from general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. Remember that the permitted development rights that apply to many common projects for houses do not always apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.

In some areas of the country, known generally as ‘designated areas’, permitted development rights are more restricted. For example, suppose your property is within a Conservation Area, a National Park, or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. In that case, you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas. There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building.

How long does a Planning Application take?

Local authority planning departments advise an application usually takes 6-8 weeks. However, this period can extend if complications are encountered. Currently, many Local Authorities request that prior to submitting an application, a pre-application is carried out to review and appraise the application prior to formal submission.

What is a Design & Access Statement?

The Design and Access Statement is a detailed planning report supporting a planning application. Its purpose is to illustrate the process that has led to the development proposal and to explain and justify the proposal in a structured way. The reports can be short or pages long, depending on the site location’s complexity.

Will I need to do anything for the Planning Application if we appoint SDA Architecture?

No, as part of our professional service, we submit and process the applications on your behalf and act as your ‘Agent’ throughout the planning process to liaise with you and the Local Authorities to make sure that the process is smooth.

What are Building Regulations?

The Building Regulations apply to building work and set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health of people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power are conserved and facilities for people with disabilities to access and move around inside buildings.

Do I need Building Regulations approval?

Most building works in the United Kingdom require approval before starting the project. However, not all SDA Architecture can assess your proposed project and advise on the requirement for a building regulations application. We can then prepare all relevant drawings, documentation, and the application for you.

Is Building Regulations approval the same as Planning Permission?

No, Building Regulations approval is a separate matter from obtaining planning permission. Similarly, receiving any planning permission your work may require is not the same as taking action to ensure that it complies with the Building Regulations. If you are unsure about your project, contact us at 01257 441 512 or email us at contact@sdaarchitecture.co.uk.

How long does a Building Regulations application take?

Local authority planning departments advise an application usually takes 6-8 weeks. However, at SDA Architecture, we have an additional option of using a private building control company, which takes approximately 2-3 weeks for the same service.

What is Building Regulation Approved Documents?

Several pieces of legislation related to the standards of premises or construction. Depending on the premises and whether any building work is being carried out, one or more could apply at any time.

The Building Regulations are made under powers provided in the Building Act 1984 and apply in England and Wales. The current edition of the regulations is ‘The Building Regulations 2000′ (as amended), and most building projects must comply with them.

The Building Regulations contain various sections (A-Q) dealing with definitions, procedures, and what is expected in terms of the technical performance of building work.

To find out more, please contact us on 01257 441 512 or email us at contact@sdaarchitecture.co.uk.

Will I need to do anything for the Building Regulations application if we appoint SDA Architecture

No SDA Architecture Ltd can prepare, submit and process the application on your behalf.

What is a Building Notice?

A building notice allows immediate site start with a Building Regulation full plans application not being required. If you decide to use this procedure, you must be confident that the work will comply with the Building Regulations, or you will have to correct any work you carry out if your local authority requests this. In this respect, you do not have the protection provided by the approval of ‘full plans. We strongly advise a set of plans are produced, agreed and checked before any building works commence to avoid site error and unwanted additional costs. The local authority fees are no less for this option.

Contact Us